Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Truck Blog

This blog will feature two parts; both truck related, but completely independent of one another.

Part One: Eighteen Wheelers

My Lord. I’ve always hated these giant trucks being anywhere near me on the interstate. Most drive like bats out of hell, with complete disregard for the fact that the machine they are operating is capable of slaughtering innocent drivers on the roadway. I’ve always despised them, but having made the drive between Houston and Baton Rouge a number of times over the last 2 months, my feelings have grown significantly stronger.

As it has been for the last ten years, I-10 is under construction – this time between Beaumont and Lake Charles. It’s awful! The lanes are so narrow, even I feel squished in my little Altima Coupe. Of course I take the necessary precautions, drive the speed limit, and keep lane changing to a minimum. But these truckers have no fear. Despite the signs clearly instructing “Trucks Use Right Lane,” they swerve in and out of traffic, passing the select few other truck drivers who actually obey the speed limit signs. Apparently when traveling in masses, they collectively believe their monster trucks have right of way for both lanes – pay no mind to the center line, it doesn’t mean anything to them. They would just assume run you into a wall than observe lane boundaries. Fortunately, I won’t be traveling home for a few weekends, hopefully allowing for some cool-down time.

Part Two: Boys and their Toys

Here’s the thing. I may live in the 4th largest city in America, and may have grown up in the 2nd largest city in Louisiana, but I am and will always be a country girl at heart. I like fishing. I don’t mind baiting my own hook. I ride four wheelers. I own rubber boots (they may be from J. Crew but they’re damn cute). And I like boys who drive trucks! As much as I complained about living in Baton Rouge, there was no shortage of good looking guys driving good looking trucks. And I liked it that way. As superficial as this may sound, a guy driving a car seems much less masculine to me than a guy driving a truck. Not all guys fit this mold, but for whatever reason, I still dig trucks.

Living in Houston? Totally different. One would assume the state of Texas is filled with good looking men driving trucks. Nope, not in this city! I swear to you every single attractive man my age is behind the wheel of an overpriced sports car. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Corvette. It’s disgusting! Why at the age of 27+ do these cats feel the need to drop $35,000+ on a sports car? Overcompensation (Olivia will agree) – they must be lacking in some other area of life, so driving an extravagant car temporarily fills a void that can never really be filled, even by German engineers. They’re showy, always parking valet at restaurants and bars. They’re super metro, with popped collars and jeans (and shoes) more expensive than mine. And trips – how do they pack for trips? There’s clearly not enough room for a girl, her dog, her bags, and her pink fishing pole. It’s a disgrace, really. Perhaps I should learn to change my ways and give guys in cars a chance. On second thought, nah…I’ll just go back to Louisiana!

6 comments:

Eco-Prep said...

Amen! Philly's not any better. No trucks, no boys in trucks, and no good old fashioned well-worn camo hats. I think it's time for me to head back Southward :)

tallie lea said...

yeah, come home to louisiana to find your boy in a truck. leave the metros in houston. anyway, metros can't possibly have enough love left for you, your dog, and lsu football!!!
have a great week.

Anonymous said...

I have to give a little cred to fancy cars. (Sorry to buck the trend).
Living in Europe, it is VERY, VERY rare to see anyone driving a truck - even a small, wussy one. Gas is around $9 a gallon, and all the roads and parking spots are just big enough to fit a Mini Cooper. I have definitely grown to appreciate luxury sports cars, and I'm actually spending my time drooling over an Audi S5 these days...

Having said that - boys who drive BMW convertibles in Texas are generally d-bags. It's a different world over here, but I do still love boys in big trucks!

ES

Unknown said...

Personally, I happen to like your "second thought"--Moochie and Metros don't mix--so Louisiana is the place to be!! Between now and the next year or two (not sure when you will be back) I'll be on the lookout for hotties in trucks. I know, I know, I'm old. But, I'm NOT dead!! I actually still have pretty good taste. :)

LSULiv said...

You can learn to love 'em if they're in a car... but still hold out hope for a truck one day in the future!!!

The Mora Family said...

I often have to remind someone very close to me this very fact...only retards pop their collars girl!! Stay away from those guys.