Sunday, August 10, 2008

Week One: Accomplished

Well, I survived my first week! And I must admit, I'm doing so much better than expected. I definitely miss all that's left in Baton Rouge, but I think this first week solidifies my decision. I can't say Houston will be my home forever, but for now, I'm enjoying it.

I didn't go out Friday or Saturday night, which I was a little bummed about. (Though the quiet time was nice). I did, however, manage to locate all of the major malls and shopping centers in and around Houston! Friday Erin and I went to Rice Village and the Galleria. Then, I woke up early Saturday and drove to Cypress, TX...the home of Houston's new Prime Outlet Mall. Ladies - hold on to your britches. This place is AMAZING! Coach, Kate Spade, Burberry, True Religion, BCBG, Aldo, Banana, the list goes on. I only bought two shirts, but the damage could have been much, much worse! (Perhaps a sign that I'm finally taking my finances seriously?) After driving back from Cypress, I went to the Memorial City Mall. It was almost as impressive as the Galleria! So, long story short, I've got shopping covered when friends/family come in for a visit.

I had a bit of a revelation while "sploring" over the weekend. Let this blog serve as evidence that I will NEVER complain about Baton Rouge roads ever, ever again. Seriously. The surface streets in Houston are terrible! My poor car takes a beating every time I venture out. It doesn't matter where you go - Midtown, Downtown, Rice Village, the Galleria Area...they're all full of pot holes, bumps, dips and terrible efforts of resurfacing!

Lagniappe: For those of you who enjoy reading and love dogs, you absolutely must read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. I just finished it last week and it was one of the best written books I've ever had the pleasure of reading!

This week: I have my first Advisory Board meeting for the Houston Alumni Association Monday night, and we're all going to dinner after. Thursday, my boss is coming in for a luncheon hosted by the Petro Tigers Alumni Association. Both should serve as excellent opportunities to mingle and network, on a business level and a personal level. Then, Friday...BR! Can't wait to see my family and friends. Til then, love you all!

2 comments:

Casey said...

Congrats on your first week as an official Texan! I'm so proud of you! Madison is dying to come visit, so we'll try to plan something soon. I love you!

Unknown said...

I'm so very proud of you--you are doing awesome! Four more days--can you tell I'm counting? LOL
I can't wait! Sounds like we're going to have lots of fun when I come back to Houston. I better start saving some money. Love you and I'll see you Friday.