Change is a funny thing. As much as I'd like to pretend to be a proponent of change, like most, I always resist it. The familiar is much more safe, much more comfortable. With change comes a great level of risk. Even if things aren't great, what if a change makes them worse? I can apply this question to just about anything in life. For 26 years, I played it safe. Until "The Move."
I'm still not sure why, or how, or when this all began churning in my head. It seemed so sudden, but internally I knew it was something I had to do. After only three months away, I have zero doubt, zero regret. I live in Houston, and I'm happy. I conquered what seemed impossible, and I actually like it. Amazing!
Lately I've been reflecting back to this time last year, and how much has changed...and I smile. Here are a few things I've discovered over the last three months:
I love Baton Rouge. Houston is great, but there truly is NO place like home. I didn't love Baton Rouge when I lived there, but I LOVE going home. Trips home are the number one thing I look forward to these days.
My family is amazing. I've known this all along, but I took for granted having my parents, Cody and Cayden nearby. This makes our time together all the more special.
Mom was right - I'm much stronger than I give myself credit for. It's been four weeks since I've been home, with two more to go, and I'm ok with that!
There's no need to rush anything in life. When something is meant to happen, it will. I waited a long, long time to move away, longer than everyone else I know. But my time came, not too soon and not too late.
I've always been outgoing, but I realize now that I've been a bit of a turtle all my life. I stuck to the familiar, my same group of friends, and rarely stepped outside of that. It's amazing what can happen when you step outside of your comfort zone. Thanks to this, I had a great date with a great guy last night. I'm convinced this same situation would have played out much differently back home, for no other reason than the turtle shell.
I love LSU. I always have, but being in another state surrounded by graduates from schools all across the country has really made me appreciate my college days. I'm proud to be a Tiger (...a real Tiger, ahm, Auburn).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Okay, #1) Auburn is the War Eagles. They are lame. WTF is a war eagle, anyway? Have you seen Mike in his new palatial estate? You think "Aubie/Nova" can compare? No indeed- and don't you forget it, no matter who you go on dates with! They are SEC so we'll cut them a little slack when we're not on the playing field, but that's it. #2) It's great that you got out of the box and moved to the Lone Star State. You may stay there forever, you may move to Boston, or you may return to BR. Whatever you do, you won't regret this move. I'm proud of you for having the kahunas to do so, and even after only being there for a couple of months, you've already had success. Think about that! You're tough, you just like to play up the weakness and talk yourself into/out of things. But if you want to, you can talk yourself right into anything you damn well please. I got faith, sista!
I am totally the same way. I love BR so much more now that I'm 1300 miles away!
You've turned into tough little cookie, haven't you?! You are finding success in every area of your life--thanks to you taking the BIG step of moving away from home. You're a kick butt recruiter--and the higher ups know it, too. You tackle the streets of Houston with no fear--that's an accomplishment in itself. You have found real happiness by living away from home--which makes me appreciate your trips home even more. And, without a doubt, you made your mama grow and become stronger, too. Wow--I owe you a big thanks for that. And, if this guy is good to you and you have fun, I don't even care where he went to college--LOL--I never thought I would say that. I just want you to continue to be happy.
Can't wait for November 6th and Pat Green!! Girls night out--it will be so much fun. Love you:)
You make me so proud! :D
ES
Post a Comment