Apparently there will be two important games this weekend - the Tigers are set to play Appalachian State at 10am Saturday morning, while the people of South Louisiana participate in a game of watching, waiting, and preparing for Gustav's landfall.
I'll just say it - damn this hurricane! I've been very happy here in Houston, and much to my surprise, I've not really experienced a painful ache for home like I originally expected. But now, Gustav is leaving me missing home desperately. For no other reason than to be there - to help, to be connected, to be near loved ones. When I flash back to the week following Katrina, and I absolutely cannot imagine having spent those days isolated from my family. We were, like everyone else, completely removed from the outside world for several days. No phones, just radio, and eventually media reports on TV. Our friends and family had no way to contact us, and the news reports left them all wondering exactly how we fared. Fortunately, being much farther inland than New Orleans, we were fine. A week of no power at Mom and Dad's house was the worst of what we experienced, which was a drop in the bucket for many others. And now, here we are again...
Fortunately, we have a much brighter and more inteligent leader in the State of Louisiana, so necessary precautions are already in place. LSU will close Tuesday, and evaulate a plan for Wednesday as the storm approaches. I wasn't working for LSU immediately following Katrina, but from what I hear, it was absolute mass chaos after the storm. Not only was campus used in rescue and releif efforts, but we also enrolled some 5,000 displaced students. A part of me feels awfully guilty that I won't be there to help in similar efforts, should Gustav deliver similar circumstances. The other part of me wishes even more that I could be home to help my family.
On a lighter note, I have to be honest - despite the 10am kickoff, it's KILLING me to miss the Tigers opening game of the season! This will be the first time in eight years I haven't been on campus to tailgate at our first home game. I'm jealous of my friends, who will likely have a beer in hand by 7am. Just being on campus for game day - there's absolutely nothing in this world quite like it. Fortunately, Houston is home to a bar called Big Woodrows, owned by a fellow LSU alum and completely decked out with LSU stuff. We had our Football Kickoff Party there Wednesday night. The bartenders wear t-shirts that call Woodrows "Houston's Death Valley" - I love it! So, until I'm able to make trips home for State, Alabama, Georgia and Ole Miss, I suppose a far-away version of Death Valley will suffice!
In the meantime, please take the necessary hurricane precautions...who knows where this thing is going to hit. I suppose it may still track westward to Houston, in which case I'll need to prepare, as well. My thoughts and prayers across the board to all of you in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lake Charles, and all along the Louisiana coast.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I miss you ,baby! Don't worry about Gustov--We'll be ok. I'm looking forward to seeing you on Thursday--yes, I'm keeping a positive attitude! Hope we have power by then (bet you didn't think of that, huh). Anyway, love you so much. Take care. Hope your curtains work.
I know what you mean! The storm makes me really miss home in the strangest way. There's something unique about being there for the clean-up. It sounds cheesy, but it's special to be able to help people like after a big storm.
Miss you,
Ellie
Post a Comment