The trip to Houston was a success! I made some new friends, a few of which are fellow LSU grads. I'll need them when I encounter a Texas fan and resort to "Tiger Bait!" chanting. We went to a couple of neat restaurants, checked out the neighborhoods inside the 610 Loop, and...I met my future roommate! I'd already checked her out on Facebook and we had talked on the phone and emailed several times, but it was nice to finally meet her in person.
I had a little mental list of important things I needed in a home. Despite the extra money it would cost, I really wanted to find a place inside the loop. Based on my research and tips from friends, I learned that's where the fun is. I was specifically looking in the Medical Center, Rice Village and Midtown areas, but my top pick was Midtown. But, Midtown is also one of the more expensive areas, so I wasn't sure I'd be able to afford it. Next, since I'll be working from home, I really want a BIG room. I've got to set up a mini-office, and it's got to be conducive to me actually working (that's why I'm there, right?) Next, a bathroom. My OWN bathroom. Oh how I miss having my own bathroom. Again, I could give it up if need be, but I really want my own bathroom. And finally, closet space. I own a ton of clothes, shoes, purses, etc., and I need a big closet to store it all.
Having looked for weeks, I was almost certain I'd never find all of the above in one place. But, I was wrong! Erin's townhouse is in Midtown, two blocks from I-59 and less than a mile and a half from Downtown. I'm 1.3 miles from my friend Emily. I'm only 4 miles from the church I plan to attend. And (not necessarily most important), I'm close to tons of bars and restaurants! The room...is huge. Seriously. I've got more than enough space to set up my new bed (thanks Mom and Dad!), my armoire, and an office area. The closet is almost the size of a small bedroom. Ok I'm exaggerating a bit, but it's awesome! And, I have my own bathroom, complete with a garden tub, plenty of cabinet space, and room for Peanut to hang out while I'm at work!
So, I found the perfect place to live, but could I afford it? Erin's current roommate pays $850 a month - all bills included. A STEAL for that area, especially given how fabulous the townhouse is. She has a covered 2-car garage, located right by a cute little park, and just two blocks from the interstate. I'm trying not to get too excited, just in case something falls through, but this is exactly what I've been looking for. Oh, and did I mention she's an LSU girl? :)
Next on the agenda? Fourth of July at Lake Bruin! My favorite weekend of the year. Mom, Dad, Cody, Em and I are all heading to the camp for the long weekend. My car won't be ready until Monday, so instead of spending more money on gas, I'm just going to hitch a ride with the 'rents and save some dough. I'm really looking forward to some sun, R&R, R&B's, and time with family and friends.
So, upon return from the lake, that leaves me with only THREE remaining weekends in Baton Rouge. Holy sh*t. I'm moving in less than a month! I'm excited and I'm ready, but I am going to treasure every last minute I have here with my loved ones. I'm hoping to have a big going away bash the weekend of July 25th, so I will keep you all posted. Until then, Happy Fourth of July!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
LSU girls are fabulous! A few exceptions, of course, but for the most part..:) I updated my blog, and I even drafted the next one! Tell your pops he'd better get on it, too, or our Tales from the Delta is going to look like post-Katrina: lotta hype, nothin' to show. ;)
Amanda, I really enjoyed reading your blog..loved Grandaddy's quote and as expected I especially enjoyed seeing the shot of the oldest skier on Lake Bruin..We love you and miss you and can't wait for you to come home for a visit..Hope you have a great week..M.P.Diddy
Post a Comment