Monday, January 12, 2009

A New Year

Wow, it's been over a month since I've blogged! My apologies for the long absence. Between holiday shopping, travel for work, trips to Baton Rouge, and life, time must have escaped me.

I finished off 2008 the best way I could have imagined - by spending time with friends and family. Working for the state actually does have it's benefits, one of which includes 14 paid days off per year! I took two extra days and made it a two week (much needed) vacation. I spent a week in BR enjoying mom, dad, Cody and the baby, and of course, my "people." The boyfriend flew in after Christmas to meet my family. After almost 3 months, I was so excited to finally make the important introductions. It really was a great holiday all-around. And now, I'm ready for 2009!

Every year for the past couple of years, my friend Olivia has sent out a "Best of 200X" survey. Her friends all take some time to fill out their answers and send them back to her, and at the end of the month she compiles a "Best of 200X" list, compromised of her favorite answers in each category. I absolutely love participating...it's one of the things I find myself looking forward to most at the start of each new year. I've never been a New Years resolution kind of girl. I have goals, but I don't limit them to the New Year. If there's something that needs changing, I think I should be able to change it year-round! Plus, too many people set themselves up for failure with resolutions for the New Year. Instead, I've tried to live my life to the fullest, and make necessary adjustments along the way. That said, I did make one resolution this year - to quit picking my fingernails (again). I'm not doing very well with this resolution so far, but I am trying.

Back to Olivia's survey. So, each year I sit down and reflect over the 12 months that passed - the good, the bad, and everything in between. This, more than anything, helps me realize where I need to/want to make changes for the New Year. It's an incredible way to reflect on your life, and each year I go back and re-read my answers from previous years. Reading last year's answers, I realized how much can change over a 365 day period. For me, it's a sort of means by which I can measure my life from one year to the next, and I absolutely love it.

Here are the questions and categories from O's 2008 survey. If you want to participate, let me know and I can give you Olivia's email address so your answers can be included in the Best of 2008 email. Names are kept anonymous, so feel free to be candid.
  • Best new place explored (from an alley to a continent) and why
  • Funniest observation -- can be a joke, animal habit, Sarah Palin debate remarks, etc.
  • Most memorable moment -- embarrassing or exciting
  • Most interesting new trial -- food, sport, method of travel, whatever!
  • Strangest conversation -- with a bum, a hard-of-hearing family member, someone clueless...
  • Lessons learned -- big or small, good or bad
  • High/Low points (can piggyback on the above)
  • Favorite form of art you experienced, be it through books / movies / CDs / plays /concerts
  • Most overrated trend (from Web site to restaurant or article of clothing-- anything new that just wasn't worth it!)
  • Internet winners and losers -- sites, web applications, etc.
  • Regrets?
  • Best meals of 2008

I wish you all a fantastic year, and thanks for reading my blog! :)

1 comment:

LSULiv said...

And I loooooove reading and compiling the responses. People are so funny, insightful, and interesting, and they only get more so as the years go on. The results will be posted soon, I'm still waiting on a few replies!
XOX!